Hi Mick:

Just about finished building and got the first watts out of my K2.

Congratulations!

However I need some advice please

Whoops...

1. If I tune to a carrier on F1 (ie filter position 1), at the same pitch it is 1 KHz higher on F2,F3 and F4 (which are all the same) Presume this is about BFO adjustment but can't see where to go. Any advice please - apologies in advance as I think this is probably a pretty simple mistake by me!.

When you find that one (or more) of your XFIL settings causes you to have to tune 'elsewhere' to 'find' the signal, this is almost always the result of having placed the BFO to the wrong side of the filter's center frequency (e.g. to the opposite sideband).

Assuming you are on 40M (or any band BELOW 15M), all of the BFO Freq./DAC values for CW Normal XFILs should be BELOW the recorded center freq. for the filter. For CW REVerse, all values should be ABOVE the filter center frequency. Note that as you narrow the bandwidth of the filter, the filter CENTER freq. will drop slightly, so it's always best to re-check to confirm exactly where the center freq. is when you switch to the next filter setting. However, the filter center will NOT change if merely switching between CW N and CW REV, just as the bandwidths change.

If you haven't considered doing so, you might want to try downloading a copy of Spectrogram v5.1.7 from my web site at www.n0ss.net (from the K2-Specific page), and also a copy of the XFIL alignment docs which appear just below the link to download Spectrogram (same page).

2. I find that tuning L1, L2 ,L3 and L4 is very broad - no very obvious peak? Is that right? - receiver seems sensitive enough but a bit low on gain using headphones (without preamp).

Without the PREAMP, you may find sensitivity a bit low on 20M and above. Generally sensitivity is more than adequate between 160M and 30M without the preamp.

Cheers,

Tom Hammond   N0SS