Paul,

The most likely problem is that you have a soldering problem or that the KX1 microprocessor is not fully seated in its socket or perhaps you have a pin bent out/under and is not inserted in the socket. Examine closely again.

As for the soldering paths, make some continuity checks - take the KX1 out of its case and plug the KXAT1 into its headers. Check from KX1 U1 pin 2 to KX1 U1 pin 17, check from KX1 U1 pin 6 to KXAT1 U1 pin 13.
Then apply power and check for 6 volts to ground at KXAT1 U1 pins 4 and 14.

It is possible that you have a firmware chip either in the KX1 or the KXAT1 which has a faulty output or input pin, but the best way to confirm that fact is to substitute a new firmware chip. Make the checks above first to see if you can find a faulty path.

73,
Don W3FPR

Paul Brice-Stevens wrote:
Hi,

I have built a KX1 with the 30m option al installed and its working fine.

I then built the KX1 ATU and it appeared to go together OK and on the first install it worked and the KX1 recognized it and I started to play around with the various settings...then when I next switched it on it gives the '---' message and won't recognize the ATU.

I have checked as per the Troubleshooting guide: -

- Connectors seems OK
- U1 appears insttaled OK
- No idea how to check whether U1 is defective...

So any ideas what and how to check next?

73 Paul G0WAT
KX1  #1043