Hi Don,

The unseated KX1 Microprocessor was the problem...I checked the continuity between 2 & 17 on KX1 U1 and it was a short...tried re-seating the Microprocessor and viola!...all OK...I shall put a bit of a con-conductive bolster on top of the chip to ensure it is pushed home when the board is put back in the case...making sure it doesn't unseat itself again.

Thanks for all your help.

73/72 Paul G0WAT

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Paul,

The most likely problem is that you have a soldering problem or that the KX1 microprocessor is not fully seated in its socket or perhaps you have a pin bent out/under and is not inserted in the socket. Examine closely again.

As for the soldering paths, make some continuity checks - take the KX1 out of its case and plug the KXAT1 into its headers. Check from KX1 U1 pin 2 to KX1 U1 pin 17, check from KX1 U1 pin 6 to KXAT1 U1 pin 13. Then apply power and check for 6 volts to ground at KXAT1 U1 pins 4 and 14.

It is possible that you have a firmware chip either in the KX1 or the KXAT1 which has a faulty output or input pin, but the best way to confirm that fact is to substitute a new firmware chip. Make the checks above first to see if you can find a faulty path.

73,
Don W3FPR

Paul Brice-Stevens wrote:
Hi,

I have built a KX1 with the 30m option al installed and its working fine.

I then built the KX1 ATU and it appeared to go together OK and on the first install it worked and the KX1 recognized it and I started to play around with the various settings...then when I next switched it on it gives the '---' message and won't recognize the ATU.

I have checked as per the Troubleshooting guide: -

- Connectors seems OK
- U1 appears insttaled OK
- No idea how to check whether U1 is defective...

So any ideas what and how to check next?

73 Paul G0WAT
KX1  #1043

http://www.eset.com