The good news is that digital modes do not require a lot of power. I worked Israel on 50w, and Seattle of 15w from the east coast of Virginia. You can an additional fan, I believe Tom shows it on his page.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Tom Hammond wrote:
Gary:

I'm thinking of buying the kit for the K2 with the 100 watt PA. I will mainly be operating on Digital modes such as PSK 31 MFSK 16 RTTY and Hellschreiber. I will be using a Tigertronics SL 1+ interface but was wondering if there are any known problems with the K2 and any or all of these modes before I buy the Kit and start building.

The KPA100 is a nice 100W amp, BUT it is NOT rated for 100% duty cycle in digital (continuous-duty carrier) modes. In fact, were it me, I'd probably not run it at more than about 40W output if I was using it on a digital mode.

You COULD probably run it at somewhat higher output IF:

 1) You remoted the KPA100, as MANY(!) have done, to a separate EC2
    enclosure, AND

 2) IF you took steps to BLOW A LOT of air across the heatsink.

At higher continuous duty output power levels, I'd want to pass a
LOT of air across both the TOP and the BOTTOM (between the PC board and the heatsink) of the heatsink.

Cheers,

Tom Hammond