The 1N34 is a Germanium diode and will have a lower forward voltage drop than a standard PN junction Silicon diode - so will work better on small signals. Low barrier Schottky diodes designed for small signals, like the 1N5711 should have performance similar to the 1N34, but will usually have higher reverse leakage currents.

You might try a little silver loaded silicone grease on the roller inductor: http://www.2spi.com/catalog/msds/msds04993.html

Bob K4ERR

Brett gazdzinski wrote:
 I looked at the ones in the K2 antenna tuner,
but was not sure about the power rating.

My heathket tuner has blown out its diodes for the 2nd time,
and they are not identified in the diagram.

I suspect my roller inductor goes open (its worn out)
and allows a voltage spike to take the diodes out.
500 watts of carrier into a G5RV generates some voltage!

I was thinking about higher voltage diodes, I have 1n34a's,
had 1N270's in, tried 1n914's last night but they don't
give enough output...

1N34a's are rated to 60 volts, but I guess it does not
matter if the inductor opens up.

I was just curious as to what is important in the circuit,
switching speed?, low voltage drop?

Thanks for the info,

Brett
N2DTS

Brett,

Choices abound - 1N34s are common, 1N5711s work well. It mainly depends on the directional coupler design. See chapter 27 of the ARRL Antenna Book for additional information and projects.

73,
Don W3FPR

Brett gazdzinski wrote:
Anyone have any idea what sort of diodes
would work best in the swr bridge of a high power
antenna tuner?
What is normally used, fast switching or what?

Thanks for any info,
Brett
N2DTS