I've never had a problem with roller inductors IF they are clean.

They don't have to be shiny silver. Silver oxide (the dark black stuff that
forms on real silver) is an excellent conductor! If it offends your
sensibilities, use a tiny bit of silver polish to clean it up, but it has
nothing to do with the performance of the inductor.

One end of the inductor usually connects through a rotating contact near the
shaft. If that's dirty it can be intermittent too. Unless you take the
roller to bits - often not practical - the best way to deal with that is to
put a DROP of suitable contact cleaner on the contacts. I prefer Caig DeOxit
for such things.

Sometimes the mechanism that presses the roller against the turns gets
sticky. Some designs use little coil springs. Others have leaf springs that
might also serve as the end supports for the rod on which the roller
travels. A bit of dirt or old, gummy lubricant in the supports or guides can
keep the rod from moving freely to hold the roller snug against the coil as
it turns.

I'd avoid any conductive lubricants, including any lubricant that contains
metal. Lubricants, especially silicon types, have a habit of migrating over
time into places where they aren't wanted - such as across the turns of a
roller inductor.

Ron AC7AC