-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Julian, G4ILO
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 2:31 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Expect delays in our responses to K3 questions
forawhile

A couple of questions I didn't see answered there (perhaps I missed them)
are:

- what type are the antenna connectors (look like SO239's in the rear view
on the data sheet)

ANT1 and ANT2 are both SO239 connectors.

- what protocol does the radio's RS-232 control use? (I'm guessing it will
have a lot of unique commands, but if it can be used with something like
the Kenwood protocol, like the K2, that will be a big help until the
various CAT programs add full K3 support.)

The K2 commands will work with the K3, but the K3 will have a huge set of
additional commands that will be able to control all the functions of the
radio as well as remote control features.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of computerless datamodes operation using a
"small external keyboard" instead of a CW paddle. Will that be a future
kit?

There is a connector on the bottom of the K3.  Use of a small keyboard is
planned for the firmware but may not be ready for initial shipments.  After
initial shipments are processed expect firmware updates at a rapid pace as
user suggestions are evaluated and implemented as appropriate.

I'm totally gobsmacked by the K3. I never imagined that the K3 people have
fantasized over for years on this reflector would actually become a
reality, in kit form too, at such a reasonable price. The moment I saw
this, as when I first read about the K2 back in 1999, I knew this was one
radio I just had to have.

>From this side of the Atlantic, at $2 / £1 exchange rate, it looks very
good value indeed. I'm hoping that the modular kit will qualify for import
duty exemtion as well. I have decided to get my order in before one of the
UK dealers asks for exclusive UK distribution rights and we all end up
having to pay twice the price.

Julian, G4ILO (K2 #392)

wayne burdick wrote:

We've spent an entire week answering questions, resulting in a very
well-stocked K3 FAQ, at:

   http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3FAQ.htm