So is there a better way or how do you do them?

I found that if you use a "blob" of solder with the biggest tip and you let
that "blob" go to the bottom of the soldering tip then just slowy move the
tip as you see small bubbles from at the edge of the soldering tip and add a
little more solder when you see it start to pull away from the tip. It
worked great on my K1 and made a smooth striping, the only problem I had
with the toroids were when I wound them wrong.

--
W2CVZ,
Michael