To: "J F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Elecraft Discussion List" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 1:09 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] RTTY vs. PSK31 (was: OT - 73 Magazine (was H mode mixer))

Whether is PSK or another protocol, is to be
seen. Judging by the numbers of participants in RTTY
contests these days, it is a fast growing segment.
Change is good, unsettling yes, but the possibilities
are worth the uncertainty...

CW remains a mainstay because it is an efficient mode. You can communicate with very low power levels which makes QRP reasonable. RTTY is not nearly so efficient and requires much more energy per bit to get good copy. It forces you into more QRO operation. PSK31 is as narrow as CW which lets you use narrow filters to lower the noise energy in the passband. It also incorporates forward error correction which allows it to still give good copy with very marginal signals.

Now that is not to say that PSK31 is the be-all and end-all for casual QSOs but I personally think that it is the first of some very interesting modulation schemes that will provide the same level of performance as CW. And since new hams don't have to know the code anymore ...

73 de Brian, WB6RQN
Brian Lloyd - brian HYPHEN wb6rqn AT lloyd DOT com