Chris,

I would strongly suggest that you have a bad solder connection or perhaps solder bridge. If you have a lot of solder on the solder pads, that is not a good thing - you need only enough to fill the thru-hole. If you do have excess solder, remove it with solder wick or other suitable method.

If you used minimum solder, you may not have heated the solder pads sufficiently. Look at the soldering carefully. The solder should flow out to a thin, almost invisible edge on both the solder pad and the component lead. There may be a slight fillet of solder, but it should be concave in shape - if it is convex, or in the worst case looks like a ball of solder on the component lead, you can conclude that insufficient heat was used - move the soldering temperature up to 700 degrees.

Proper soldering is essential for the closely packed KX1.

73,
Don W3FPR

Koaps wrote:
I was able to seat U1 all the way finally after
checking all the pin depths with a clipped lead.

The menu options are still messed up.

Somethings look fine, the freq numbers are counting
ok,   it displays E09 and E10 ok(tried resetting the
chip but powering on holding menu and band) but some
of the options are still not looking right.

Something is wrong somewhere. Is there something
besides the U1 MCU that effects the display of certain
menu options? If needed I can note exactly which menu
choices and how they look, maybe take pictures if
needed.

Any help would be appreciated, the MCU U1 is seated
all the way now.