That's a great idea, Fred, but I think you misunderstood. I was suggesting
ways to improve one's fist as well as one's copy speed. Both are important.
Recording my own fist, and then listening to it later, was a good way to
hear how my fist sounds "on the air".

The neat skill that your suggestion will help develop is "copying in the
head" without writing anything down. I keep forgetting that there are many
ops who can't do that, and I can't imagine enjoying CW nearly as much if I
had to write everything on paper. I've had my ham shack in one corner of the
kitchen (close to the coffee pot!) and ran QSO's while fixing dinner (AS OM,
POT'S BOILING OVER) or, more often, while doing other chores. And, of
course, I've had my 'shack' in the workshop where I'm working on projects
while copying the other station 'in my head'.

Even when lounging at the operating desk, being able to lean back, close my
eyes, and visualize the 'airspace' with all those signals dancing around the
periphery while listening to what someone is saying is a really great way to
operate! It's also a good way to practice copying two signals at once. I can
do that to a point. It's like listening to two people talk at once. If they
aren't chattering on too fast or I'm having trouble following their meaning,
it works. And then sometimes I don't want to be distracted and punch in the
400 or 200 Hz filter instead of the 1.5 kHz filer ;-)

73,

Ron