I picked one up today as well, after reading your post. No go at
first, as is so often the case there is little or no QA on these cheap
things. Out of the box the thing rattled, so I had to take it apart.
Not only was there a piece of solder wire rattling around loose, but
one of the speaker wires was not connected. Also the thing was "always
on", caused by a solder bridge between two leads on the power switch.
Sigh. Out came the soldering iron, and after fixing those faults I
also had to touch up some really miserable workmanship in the
soldering of the other wires. Wires weren't soldered into the
through-holes provided on the board, just tacked onto the annular ring
around the hole. Yuk. Of course mine may not be representative, just
the result of an assembler rushing to meet a quota or whatever.

However once fixed up it works very well indeed with my KX1, plenty of
output, I like it! It's so small and light I can take it hiking.

Bob NW8L