Doug:

In order to run the K2 at full power for an extended period of time I use a 73 Amp-hour gelled electrolyte battery and a PG40S SuperPWRgate both from West Mountain Radio. The regular station power supply furnishes charging power.

I cannot tell you how long it will last because I've never run it down, but I did some duty cycle calculations that showed that it should last for most of a day of round the clock operation at 100 watts CW, and at least a week at 5 watts.

I have found as several other list members have reported, that the voltage drop through the diodes in the PG40S does not lead to any problems for operating the K2.

Drawbacks: 1) This is not a cheap configuration, plan to spend close to $300 by the time you include fuses, powerpoles, battery connectors et cetera. 2) It is not conveniently portable; the battery weighs 58 pounds.

73,

Steve Kercel
AA4AK