...seems the on-air rag-chew talk these days is more and more about fine
settings and precision...comments to others that they, 'are 27 Hz off
frequency' and the like.  That was a non-issue before a couple more decimal
places were added to the right and scopes were built in.

Will we now be faced with windy discussions when giving a station a signal
report about, 'how my s-meter is calibrated?'

Amateur radio is a technical hobby.  Yet some would like to talk about
things other than issues that are way to the right of the decimal point.

With no attempt towards a standard, the s-meter report one receives degrades
further in relevance.  If one sets their own radio's s-meter in a way that
suits them for use as an instrument for other than signal reports, is it
appropriate to use that to report signal strength to the rest of the ham
community?

Specialization is fine...to a point.  At some point it becomes it becomes an
exclusive nitch.  Are we hearing more and more QSOs where if a person can't
talk about a particular brand/model of radio or feature of function of a
radio, they won't be included in the QSO?  Some can find nothing to QSO
about other than radio and precision.  Never mind accuracy and as another
said, 'consistency.'  Overall, 'fraternity' (for lack of a better term)
breaks down and insider cliques grow.

How many ________ enthusiasts does it take to dance in a chorus line to the
right of a decimal point?  (Fill in the blank with any particular specialty
you care to.)

Okay...resume target practice.

Regards,
Dick - KA5KKT/4