Brian Lloyd wrote:
very good alternative to software escrow: open software. Since the K3

That's what I was hinting at when I was talking of the conflict between "amateur" and "business". I didn't pursue that because it seems that Elecraft are pretty well sold on the idea that intellectual property, except for the hardware schematic, should be closely guarded, so I just discussed the option used by most non-monopoly closed source software suppliers, i.e. companies that keep intellectual property close to their chest.

For example, Elecraft protect something which is of much less value than the firmware, namely the copper layers of the PCB artwork, only allowing a noisy JPEG of the actual boards to be published when they must have the ability to publish the actual artwork. As a constructor, that makes it difficult for me to work out whether two adjacent pads are connected, or I need to resolve a short, and it makes signal tracing difficult. Even with a bit map, I could flood fill to see what's connected on a single layer.

I imagine the tooling cost means that it is cheaper for an individual to buy the board, a legitimate competitor would respect the copyright and a dodgy one could recreate the artwork in about the time it takes to construct one kit.

software is hardware-specific, it is unlikely that it will give other

Personally I tend to believe that, where the business model is based on selling the hardware, it is good to "open source" the supporting software, or at least publish it with a no-commercial use clause. However, it continually irritates me how many hardware vendors won't even publish sufficient information to write a device driver.

It's more difficult for things like APRS, which I believe is not legally implementable by amateurs.

vendors a leg up to see the Elecraft source code. So two things happen by making Elecraft's software open:

2. Anyone can generate a software build. Even if Elecraft stopped developing a particular radio, owners can still enhance their equipment,

I'm not sure whether the Elecraft people are basically businessmen or amateur radio people, but for a businessman, the ability to kill a product has the advantages that:

- you can cease supporting an early product without having sales of
  later products undermined by competitors, or end users, who continue
  to maintain the earlier one;

- you increase the value of the company to a competitor when you come
  to retire, etc., as the competitor can remove your product from the
  market.

Microsoft rely on being able to kill products; preferably by making them appear unfashionable, but also by withdrawing even security support, to force people to upgrade, and by locking the licence to a specific hardware instance, to force software upgrades on hardware upgrades..

2. Others with good ideas can add functionality and features to the radio without having to wait for Elecraft to get around to it. Elecraft

This is double edged. It can lead to increased primary sales, but it can also damage the after market for the primary company.

can even fold good, well thought-out features back into the "official" source tree.

A really competent company will do this and will also counter-innovate, but most companies prefer to use secrecy instead, as it is more predictable.

> much in the way we still have folks experimenting with older vacuum
> tube (valve) kit today.

The move to software and protection of software by secrecy is generally a bad thing for innovation by amateurs (in a general sense). In the past, whether or not strictly legal, non-commercial developers were not impacted by patents, but these days they cannot get the information needed to innovate. In the short term, that fits in with fact that Western economies are now intellectual property economies, but in the longer term it seems to me that it will reduce the supply of innovators and it is already resulting in a vast amount of duplicated effort.

Elecraft are in the border area between amateur as learner and innovator and amateur as appliance operator. Companies selling to the latter role are just selling to yet another consumer technology product, and want good consumers, not innovators.

One other possible reason for restricting the firmware is that releasing it facilitates overriding operating frequency ranges, etc. Legislating restrictions is easy for governments, although I would argue that, where national security is involved, recreating sufficient firmware from scratch is well within the capabilities of most insurgent groups who might otherwise find the hardware easy to import and better than alternatives.

Incidentally, a couple of points that arose elsewhere in the thread:

- escrow is only useful if the customers know about it, so assuming
  that the company does the right thing is not good enough (I think
  this was the result of thinking escrow referred to off site backups);

- a takeover by an asset stripper is not necessarily hostile - hostility
  is determined by the views of the directors, not the impact on
  customers (and employees).
--
David Woolley