Al said:
Then  we'd disassemble the xtals and soak em in acid for a few minutes
to tweak them  up 3 or 5 KC.

I never did that.  I used to make a slurry with Comet (the cleanser,
before it went grit free) and, using an index finger on the xtal, make
circles in the slurry to "grind" the xtal (move it up in frequency).
Using this method, you could move a xtal all the way up the band, but
it took time.  And you would "measure" the frequency by transmitting
with it by FINDING it on your receiver, then taping a paper label to
the xtal with the new QRG.

To lower the frequency, I used to make figure 8's using solder to
"draw" on the xtal's flat surface.  Of course, you could not lower the
frequency too much that way or the xtal would stop vibrating.

Ah...the fun days when nobody thought about holding solder in their
hands (or mouth) and intentionally inhaling solder fumes (tendrils)
cuz it smelled so good.

de Doug KR2Q

PS...I have a crystal for 7000.1 - by is that a good one...would
multiply up on LOTS of bands!