On Sat, 16 Jun 2007, DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

To lower the frequency, I used to make figure 8's using solder to
"draw" on the xtal's flat surface.  Of course, you could not lower the
frequency too much that way or the xtal would stop vibrating.

I remember using the "lead" from the softest pencils I could find.

Remember all the "circuits" that you could find that let you "rubber" the xtals?

Ah...the fun days when nobody thought about holding solder in their
hands (or mouth) and intentionally inhaling solder fumes (tendrils)
cuz it smelled so good.

That was the approved soldering method....ya held the solder in your teeth, so that you had an extra hand....and if you got real fancy, you mounted the soldering iron so that the tip was reight in front of you...that way, you could use both hands to hold the stuff that you wanted to solder together.

Can't do it anymore....the hands shake, not enough teeth to hold solder and seeing anthing that close is impossible.

Thom,EIEIO
Email, Internet, Electronic Information Officer
k3hrn

www.baltimorehon.com/                    Home of the Baltimore Lexicon
www.tlchost.net/hosting/                 Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month