To: "eKotz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2007 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA100 Power Malfunction

Ed,

For the future, consider your antenna situation carefully. When the station is not operational, all my antennas are grounded (via relays) and the K2 is connected to a dummy load. I do have an extensive antenna switching system here (not yet complete, but almost there) which relies on the Elecraft KRC2 along with remote relays to select the antenna to be used for each band - yours may be less complex, but consider a switching system to ground the antennas not in use and connect the K2 to a ground (or better a dummy load) when the K2 is not powered on.

73,
Don W3FPR

eKotz wrote:
Don,

You were spot on. The SWR Bridge diodes D16 and D17 had failed. The diodes arrived today in the mail, I replaced them and my K2 is up. Thank you very much for your help.

73,
Ed  -  AD7GR
K2 #6050

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Lack of power control with the KPA100 installed normally points to a failure of the KPA100 wattmeter circuit.

Start with replacing the 1N5711 diodes D16 and D17...

If your KPA100 was working at one time and there is *any* possibility that you encountered a lightning surge, then D16 and D17 are the most likely suspects.