David. let me pose a question: if you converted the digitized voice
signal to mp3 or ogg format, is this similar to (or the same as) a
freq domain data stream?  The data compression from CD wav file to mp3
is around 10 to 1; you are certainly not storing a digital copy of the
sound wave.  Voice compression may not be so good but still should
result in the need to transfer considerably less data in order to
assure a useful voice recovery on the receiving end.

Mike  W5FTD