Hi, Kevin-

Some of the ferrite cores can be a bit rough around the edges. When I
encounter a batch that exhibits this characteristic, I use a drill-bit to
clean up the burr prior to winding. Pick a drill-bit of a size
substantially larger than the toroid's inner diameter, and spin its tip
back and forth a few times in the toroid's hole. You should fine that the
burr comes off easily. I don't usually have trouble with the OD of the
toroid, but in that case you could use some fine sand paper.

73,

Mychael / AA3WF
K2 #1025