On Jul 9, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Brian Lloyd wrote:

Well, you have just described the product offerings from Flex Radio.

Not exactly what I had in mind -- there's way too much hardware involved.

My concern over the Flex Radio SDR approach compared to Elecraft's approach in the K3 is that, in order to be able to receive multiple signals simultaneously, e.g. like we do in demodulating PK31, you have to accept all the noise and cruft in the wider passband. If there is a strong signal in there you have to pass it through to the A:D and hope that the A:D has sufficient dynamic range to deal with the difference between the desired signal and the undesired signal.

No. You don't "hope" the A/D has enough dynamic range. You have to design in that kind of dynamic range. Which means you've got to use an A/D converter which has lots of bits -- very expensive today.

Elecraft gets rid of the undesired signal by using tight roofing filters.

Yup, that's one approach. It also is very cost-effective for a single- signal type receiver.

It's still possible to get good IMD characteristics with an up- conversion general-coverage receiver. There are some $10,000 radios on the market that do exactly this.

But all of them upconvert to something like a 70MHz 1st IF. You aren't going to find a 200Hz roofing filter there. That means you aren't going to get the good close-in (1KHz spacing) IMD and BDR performance. So to get general coverage receiver performance you give up close-in BDR and IMD performance. Again TANSTAAFL.

Consider the Yaesu FT DX 9000. This design has a 40 MHz first IF that has roofing filters of 3, 6 and 15 kHz.

Similarly, the Icom IC-7800. This design has a first IF of 64.455 MHz and roofing filters of 3, 6 and 15 kHz.

Both of these designs have competitive IMD and BDR characteristics. It is possible to do this with wider roofing filters in an up- conversion design. However, it isn't as cost-effective as the Elecraft design. (I can buy several fully-loaded K3s for the price of one FT DX 9000 or IC-7800)

I agree. Elecraft should be receiving the order from the ARRL for our school's K2. I plan to let the kids (4th-8th grades) build the rig under my guidance. I think that the K2 will perform a lot better than the other rigs that they were offering us, e.g. Icom IC-706, and I think that the kids will understand and appreciate the radio better if they have a hand in building, testing, and calibrating it.

I totally agree. When I was first licensed, one of my dreams was to design and build a state of the art homebrew transceiver. For a number of reasons, I never quite did that, but with the Elecraft K2/100, I've come close. (I didn't design it, but I certainly built it)

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901