Absolutely! I have used AVG Anti-Virus by Grisoft for over four years on
several machines without a single issue. In my experience it is far more
stable and reliable than either of the two highly-advertised brands that
often come pre-loaded on new machines, and it has a much, much smaller
memory 'footprint'.

My version is the paid one since I use my computers in my business. IIRC
it's costing me about a buck a month on each machine.

Downloads take only a few seconds. The paid version (at least) updates
automatically. IIRC the free version simply requires a click on a radio
button.

They offer 24X7 support for the paid version as well, but I can't say how
well it works because I've never needed it.

I deal with hundreds of e-mails each day. AVG just keeps working and
working. The only evidence it's there is when it grabs an infected file and
quarantines it.

I lean on Windows Firewall and deal with SPAM by identifying the dozens
(hundreds?) of people - friends and clients alike - who I expect to hear
from and have Outlook shunt their mail into specific folders. That leaves
almost nothing but SPAM in the in-box. I can quickly scan it for anything I
want to save and then dump the lot in one move.

I prefer doing that after having a SPAM filter accidentally grab and trash a
few important e-mails from clients.

Ron AC7AC