The "band stacking" registers topic is one that I
think could be clarified in the FAQ. I read the FAQ to
say, rudimentary band changing, maybe not quite as
good with respect to the usual band stacking registers
on other transceivers.

I had the actual K3 band registers explained to me in
a private email by a K3 beta tester.

With the K3 scheme, you need to press the BAND UP or
BAND DN a few times in most cases before you reach the
band of interest, where using the (example IC756p,
OMNI VI+) "keypad" band changing option there is one
button press and you are immediately on the band you
want to be.

The mind tells you that by having to make multiple
presses on the K3 band key before you see the band of
interest, there is some performance penalty using this
scheme for band changes as compared to keypad band
stack registers.

The advantage to the K3 scheme is that after you find
the correct band by tapping that BAND button, you have
FOUR non-stacked band registers M1, M2, M3, M4 ready
for immediate use on the desired band. They are not
toggled at random to "unstack" as they would be on the
keypad implementation.

That's a real advantage because you can store M1-M4
away in a manner so that they are known, M1 will
always be CW freq, mode and bandwidth, M2 might be a
SSB config, M3 for AM and M4 RTTY for example.

I guess in marketing speak, the K3 has "Quad" band
registers although it's not implemented like the
competitor's "on the keypad" band stacking.

How do you change bands on the K3? Do you have to
toggle through all the bands to get to the desired
one?

You can change bands in several ways:

- With the BAND UP and BAND DOWN buttons
- Using direct frequency entry; two methods:
        1. Enter a frequency in MHz and then a decimal
point, e.g. "7."  jumps to 7.000 MHz (40 meters)
        2. Enter a frequency in kHz and then a decimal
point, e.g. "1825." jumps to 1.825 MHz (160 meters)
- Using general-purpose memories (100) for your
favorite bands/modes, including 5-character names that
you assign to each memory)
- Using a computer program to control the radio