Clark,

There is no grey tape - it is green (or beige) tape that has been hit with the spray gun in the powder coating process.

You can use a bit of touch-up paint to coat the masking tape if you want. The holes in the lower panel are sized for RCA jacks (the transverter holes in the top cover are cut for BNC jacks), so you may be able to find plugs to fit the holes, or simply add RCA jacks (or BNCs) and then use your imagination to invent whatever their use should be in your shack. An Amp Keying circuit is one possible use for one jack and a fixed audio output is one possibility for the other one.

I am surprised that you ran out of lockwashers, it is rare that the packers at Elecraft mis-count - actually they weigh the hardware items and you may find an extra or two in most cases.

73,
Don W3FPR

Clark Macaulay wrote:
I have two small questions, both of them of cosmetic nature. 1) I ran short about 10 lockwashers. In reviewing some the build instructions, I see that the offfset blocks that hold the rig together, where mounted RF board, specifies the use of 2 lockwashers. Was this changed in later instructions? I'm getting lockwashers locally, just wanted to know if I missed something. 2) The heatsink has the new holes punched in the bottom for the transverter but the holes were not covered with that neat tape that is the same gray color as the metal. I have used some of the covering from the other holes (like around the speaker jack) to fill the holes, but it is green and looks tacky (of course, who looks at the back anyway? I do!). The instructions say not to remove this tape; in my case, it wasn't there to remove. Where can I get some Elecraft Grey to paint my green tape plugs? I don't intend to have the transverter option. It was a real pleasure in building this rig. I did have some problems which required me to exercise my troubleshooting skills and, with a little help from those on this reflector, found the problems (3 of them). As near as I can tell, everything is working fine. Next step: Spectrogram calibration of the filters.