In a message dated 8/12/07 12:32:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Why can't I run FM voice that's 15 or 20 kHz wide on 75 meters? I think it
> > would sound really, really good. Much better than even AM, and

>immune to summer
>
> > QRN. The transmitter would be very efficient, modulated at low level and
> > amplified in highly efficient Class E stages that are very simple and
> don't have to
> > be amplitude-linear at all. I'd be experimenting with new things.
>
> Marvelous idea...logical too...and flies in the face of operating
> efficiently.

How so? The transmitter would be more efficient. If it's OK to use 6 to 9 kHz
for ESSB, why not 15 or 20 kHz for FM?

> But, that notwithstanding, with limited spectrum space available, even
> after the
> expansion of the phone bands, why are we considering reducing the number of
> channels available, by increasing the bandwidth?

I like how 15-20 kHz wide FM sounds. Why can't I use it?

> Arguments in favor of creating wider than required signals remind me of
> folks
> who buy a car with a huge engine and then insist they be allowed to drive at
> no
> less than 90 mph.

If they don't want us to drive us fast, why do they make such cars? And why
do the speedometers go up so high?

(devil's advocate mode = off)

73 de Jim, N2EY