These concerns about using excessive bandwidth are all certainly legitimate,
but history suggests that anyone seriously against using more
bandwidth/signal in crowded bands needs to take a different approach or
their concerns will not be heard.

The same sort of arguments I'm reading in this thread - efficient use of
spectrum - has come up before when a wide-band mode was proposed for 40
meters: a mode that would allow each station to use the bandwidth currently
used by four, five or even more signals currently on the band.

Editorials and letters ranted against the terrible waste, the destruction of
Amateur radio and ruination of a great Ham band if this new mode were
allowed.

Nonetheless, it was and the 40 meter AM 'phone' band segment opened in the
USA in the 1950's ending that band's 300 kHz of CW-only operation.
"Efficient" CW operators had to get out of the way. Their one consideration
was that they could, legally, operate in the phone segment while the phone
operators ("phony Hams" some called them back then) were restricted to their
sub-band.

Elecraft has taken what I think is a very conservative and reasonable
approach to providing ESSB capability. They have designed the K3 to limit
the ESSB signal to no more than 6 kHz. In one post some time ago, Wayne
mentioned that it would likely be "less" than 6 kHz. Some SSB operators may
feel that's too wide, but 6 kHz is used by double-sideband AM operators on
those bands today. So, for those who want to try ESSB, they won't be using
any more spectrum that the current crop of double-sideband AM operators.

Keep in mind that running ESSB is useless unless *both* stations in a QSO
are ESSB capable. The receiver in a conventional SSB rig simply cuts the
signal down to a normal SSB bandwidth. And the K3 will not run ESSB unless
the optional 6 kHz filter is purchased.

Anyone who has followed Elecraft over the years knows that they have been
very conscious about ensuring their transmitters are exceptionally clean,
meeting or exceeding both current regulations and the current practice for
signals on the Ham bands.

For those who are serious about preventing the use of ESSB on at least some
bands, history suggests that an argument other than "efficient use of the
spectrum" will be needed.

I operate CW 99% of the time. It's by far my favorite mode. I'm gratified to
note that bunches of CW ops do not "set up shop" in the middle of the phone
bands, even though they could do so legally to avoid the mayhem of a contest
or just because it might please them to do so. Traditionally, most Hams have
been considerate operators even if they don't agree with another's choice of
modes. That means doing the "right thing" even though one might disagree
intensely with others. I would hope that spirit continues.

Ron AC7AC