Matt

asking questions is a good thing.  2 great answers
already posted.  here is the 'punch line':

for 80, 40 and 30m i suggest you turn the preamp off.
(to confirm, with your antenna matched to the rig -
tune in a weak signal and verify that preamp makes no
difference here in detecting the signal, and receiver
will have more dynamic range)

for 20m and up - turn the preamp on, and leave it
unless you get obvious 'thumping' from nearby large
signals.  (up here atmospheric noise is less so we
benefit from the preamp).

you may rarely need to change these settings - but be
aware of the opportunity.  enjoy your rig!

73, curt