Randy,

I would suggest that at some time or other, someone pressed the TUNE button while they were exploring the operation of your K2 - in fact, it may have happened several times. Pressing TUNE with something other than your normal antenna will change the ATU settings.

Setting the menu items takes multiple button presses, but doing a TUNE is just a one button operation, and yes it is likely that someone 'trying out the K2' would press that button. Next time, connect a dummy load to both the ANT1 and ANT2 jacks to protect your K2 from any possible damage (but that will not prevent changing the ATU settings for each band).

73,
Don W3FPR

Randy wrote:
Last weekend I took my K2 to the Huntsville Hamfest to help out with the Elecraft booth there. I had a gel cell battery hooked up to it so folks could twist knobs, push buttons and see what happened. Several folks did. Today I turned the K2 on for the first time since then and strangely I had to retune the KAT2 for all bands on both my dipoles. As far as I can tell, neither dipole has changed physically. One is an attic dipole and the other is an inverted vee hung from trees in the yard. Both are fed with ladderline. The attic dipole uses an LDG BA-1 4:1 balun and the inverted vee uses the Elecraft BL-2 set to 4:1. I had the inverted vee attached to Ant 1 and the attic antenna to Ant 2. Both had been automatically tuned by the KAT2 to better than 1.2:1 on 80m through 10m before the hamfest.

I thought at first that maybe something had reset all my internal data, but all the menu parameters I've checked, including the filter settings, are unchanged.