I thought that I would share a little report about my recent K1 backlight installation.

I was very nervous about tearing into a perfectly good working radio. But as someone recently said to me, once you make the first snip on a connection the radio is broken and now needs to be fixed!

The old display came off easily but cleaning out the pad holes on the board for the new display was a real pain, and there sure are a lot of them. Using as little heat as possible I was able to remove much of the solder with solder wick but most of the holes remained filled. I ended up heating up each pad and, while the solder was still melted, pushed a steel sewing pin through the hole. The solder doesn't stick to the steel and as soon as it solidified I could pull the pin back out, leaving a hole just big enough for the new display leads. That was the really tough part of the job. Getting the power to the backlight took a little bit of finesse but it wasn't too bad, and installing the new display on top of the backlight went smoothly. From start to finish the whole job took about 3 hours.

The upgrade was well worth the cost and effort. That green glow really looks great and I can now easily read the display even in a dark room.

73

Paul - N8XMS