David -

I was watching a special about Pink Floyd last evening, and reference was made to the line "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way", and I thought of that as soon as I read your post. :-)

WRT "Didn't the e-mail say why", would any reasonable person think it would be too terribly onerous of a task, just prior to jetting away to Japan, to zip off a quick shipping status update to customers who not only are customers, but many of whom are also extending Elecraft a rather substantial free loan? Loyalty works both ways. I find the "going to Japan" excuse to be specious.

David, here's the thing: I'm noticing a pattern of behavior where Elecraft has been less than forthcoming with respect to their shipping schedule. The latest one is the SECOND TIME IN A ROW (so far, Elecraft is "2 for 2"), whereby the de facto notification of a highly anticipated ship date was announced by Beta testers who where sharing their impressions (I'd like to thank them for sharing those impressions, BTW - ESPECIALLY about the noise blanker!!).

I don't find that behavior to be especially above board or respectful of their customers.

Here's the next guess I have: Elecraft hasn't distributed the hardware NB to their Beta testers. I will guess that the next delay will be because they want to make sure the NB is properly shaken down by the Beta testers (and note that I'm not against proper testing!), and will have to distribute those pieces, and await review by the testing crew.

WRT "what difference does it make", I don't consider that rude at all, and I'm glad you asked. I believe that I'm in a somewhat special category. I'm repairing my station from the damage of three hurricanes which struck within 6 weeks in 2004. Until I get the antennas all fixed, I'll remain QRT, so for me, the answer is "not much".

That being said, I'm sure there are many folks who gave Elecraft a deposit, with the expectation that they'd have a K3 at approximately Elecraft's published shipping date. They have a right to be informed of shipping status in a timely manner, because THEY may decide that they cannot wait. That strikes me as entirely reasonable, and for the life of me, I cannot imagine how anyone could disagree with that. You mention "trust", and I'll add that I subscribe to the Russion saying of "Trust, but verify" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_Verify )

There is a profound difference between being willing to wait, and that being your choice, and being strung along.

Let's turn the question around: "How many people who have put down a deposit have done so if they knew that they radios would be shipped at least two months later than they originally thought?" Maybe some, maybe most, but I'm fairly certain, not "all".

It's very important to understand the distinction in what I'm saying: I'm NOT advocating an accelerated, anything-less-than-100%-thorough testing and development schedule. I AM insisting on open and timely communications with their customers/bankers. It seems the least that Elecraft can do.

Regards, and 73,

Steve  NN4X
Saint Cloud, Florida, USA

Didn't the email say why, they got busy and had to go to the Japan show.

I don't wish to be rude or negative, but what difference does it make to the
delivery date if you had known two weeks ago?
Would you have cancelled your order?

I'm waiting too, on the edge of my seat. This has messed up some of my
planning around building and learning the rig (so I'll revise my plans for
the next couple of months - there's always plenty to do). But like many
others, I have placed my trust in Elecraft and would much rather wait for
'The best of the best' to be ready to ship.

I'm not an Elecraft worshiper (yet), this will be my first Elecraft product.
A good few of my local club (there ought to be a Q code for that) have K2's,
including I think, some of the earliest. I am very impressed with their
receive capabilities, so that's why I purchased the K3.

 _.    _.   ...._   _.._   [EMAIL PROTECTED]