Sounds like our careers are similar, Toby. For decades I sat in front of an array of switchers, mixers, edit controllers, etc., but from the late '90s until I retired it was all done with SGI workstations. The old style is definitely faster for live production, but for complex post-production you can't beat the computer approach which integrates editing, audio and CGI into one intuitive application... and one "decision list". Sort of like traditional rigs vs. SDRs.

I made my decision to go with the K3 vs. something like a Flex 5000, mainly because I do simple operation and speed and performance is more important to me than complexity in my old age ;-) Also, of course, because I can build and maintain it ;-)

73,
Larry N8LP

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
To tell you the truth, based on years spent in TV control rooms and edit suites,
I feel the ideal setup would be panels with large buttons, sliders and shuttle
style knobs, sunk in the surface of the table. Might end up looking a bit like
these: <http://www.parabol.de/parabol/bilder/Geraete_Videomischer_MX12.jpg>,
<http://www.medien.fh-wiesbaden.de/img/impressionen_galerie_campus_08.jpg> or
<http://data1.blog.de/blog/s/sammelsura/img/schnittpult.jpg>.

vy 73 de toby