>In a message dated 9/6/07 9:46:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I do wonder what Elecraft could come up with if size, weight, and power
consumption were not an issue.

So do I. But those factors are always an issue. Even back in "Big Rig" days,
they were an issue. They were one reason ham gear used to be so expensive (in
inflation-adjusted dollars).

>It would likely be a rig I would really like, as there are plenty of small
rigs out there.

Sure - they're small for good reasons. Like cost control.

>They don’t need to go head to head with the major manufacturers if they don’
t want to, they can sell what they sell and how they want to sell it, and be
as big or as little as they want.

They seem to like rigs which are just big enough to do the job.

Elecraft has never really gone head-to-head with the other manufacturers.
That's the secret of their success: They offer things the others do not, and so
capture a market the others have neglected.

For example, compare the receiver power drain of other multiband multimode HF
rigs with that of a K2 - even one that's fully loaded. The difference may not
seem like much until you have to carry the batteries to power the rig for an
extended period! Yet the K2 receiver outperforms other rigs that are as small
and much more expensive.

And no matter what goes wrong with any Elecraft product, you can get exact
replacement parts at very reasonable prices and *FREE* technical help direct
from the factory, turned around in a matter of hours.

>My guess is they want to sell zillions of K3's though, with all he jetting
around to hamfests.

>How many is "zillions"?

The amateur radio market is actually very small. Not only are we hams
relatively few, but our rigs tend to last a very long time.

Many years ago, Electric Radio magazine carried a listing of all the
different models of EF Johnson ever produced, and the number of each model. I
was
amazed at how *few* of them were made! No wonder they were so expensive - the
engineering and tooling costs had to spread out over relatively few units.

>If the K4 was twice the size of the K3, and had four times the knobs and
buttons on it, and had the K3 performance, I bet they would sell even more of
them then K3's, at a higher price.

In order to have four times the knobs and buttons you'd need four times the
panel area. That means a rig that's a *lot* bigger!

I don't know how many more they would sell, or even if they would sell more,
because the price of such a "K4" would be much, much higher. Making a rig
bigger increases not only the cost of the parts but also the cost of shipping,
storing, packaging, etc., and all those things add to the sale price. Consider
just the storage space needed for 100 K2 kits compared to say, 100 DX-100 kits.
Miniaturization is one factor that has made it possible for small companies to
succeed by reducing overhead on things like shipping and storage.

There's also the factor of how the controls actually work.

In "classic" design, a control directly varies something. For example, in a
conventional rig, the tuning knob varies an inductor or capacitor by means of
the tuning mechanism, and that varying inductor or capacitor changes the
oscillator frequency. The K1 comes close to this by using a
varactor/potentiometer
combo. This method is entirely hardware-dependent.

But in "modern" rig design, many if not all of the functions are controlled
by microcontroller(s) in the rig, and the knob is simply an input to the
microcontroller. In the K2, turning the tuning knob operates an optical encoder
whose outputs are interpreted by a microcontroller, which then tells the
synthesizer what to do in order to change frequency. This method permits the
same
variable (rig frequency) to be controlled by a number of methods, as determined
by
software/firmware, not hardware, and permits all sorts of features, ranging
from direct frequency input by keypad to computer control to memories.

The problem with "modern" control is that the microcontroller has only so
many inputs and outputs. Each knob, button or indicator uses up an I/O point,
as
well as requiring the hardware. In order to have four times as many knobs and
buttons, a "K4" would need four times as many I/O points as well as the knobs,
buttons and wiring.

>I don’t see why Elecraft could not get very large in short order, as no one
has the range and performance they do, kits, small rigs, top end performing
rigs, medium size rigs, backpack rigs, antenna tuners, amplifiers, and with the
K4, big deluxe rigs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "get very large". Do you mean the company or
their products?

If you mean the company, there are all sorts of problems associated with
too-fast growth. Many good companies have been damaged or even destroyed by
trying
to grow too fast. Better to grow in a sustainable, well-controlled way. This
is particularly important when high product quality is important.

There's an old saying in engineering:

Quick, cheap, good: Pick any two.

If you mean you want the products to be larger, note the factors I mentioned
above. How much more are you willing to pay for a "K4"? Would you pay twice as
much as a K3 costs? 1.5 times as much?

I have thought about taking a K2 and fabricating a new, larger front panel
with bigger knobs and buttons, and putting the K2 insides in a bigger cabinet.
There's no reason I can see that it couldn't be done. But it's a lot of work,
mostly mechanical, and would take a considerable investment of time and
resources.

>I hope they will expand and bring out more products faster, while reducing
the individual workload so they don’t burn out.

I do too. But the rigs do not design or fabricate themselves. And as the
complexity grows, the design/fabrication workload grows exponentially.

I know you like the big old rigs of yesteryear, particularly their "user
interface". But remember how much they cost in their time, even though things
like
labor and space were much less expensive. An R-390 may not seem
"miniaturized", but for an early-1950s design it was very small for what it
did. Look at
what one cost new, too!

There's also the fact that the existing Elecraft product line isn't going
away, and needs to be supported all through this time.

It should also be remembered that the other Elecraft rigs did not come out
"all at once".First the basic rig hit the market, and then the accessories came
along one or two at a time. That spread out the development work and cost.

But the K3 is being offered with almost all the features at the same time,
and most of them built-in. That's a much bigger project.

If Collins Radio, at the height of their success and with all their
experiences and resources, had such problems with the introduction of the KWM-2
as
described in that article, it's not surprising that the K3 has taken a bit
longer
than originally projected.

Quick, cheap, good: Pick any two.

73 de Jim, N2EY