Excellent question! The set I purchased is marked just this way, and I'm at a
loss to
understand how to apply them.

John K5MO

             Bob Fish

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

             Sent by:
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Elecraft@mailman.qth.net,

                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

            cc
             09/16/2007 09:55 PM

       Subject
                                               [qrp-tech] Crimpers Revisited

                 Please respond to

             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Guys,

Let me start by thanking every one who responded to my request for a
source for good coax crimpers. Lots of good choices at various price
points. I noticed that some crimpers were listed with dyes or jaws with
no coax designation just three digit dye sizes like .148, .259 or .291
or whatever. These are obviously the diameter of the closed jaw after it
has ratcheted to its tightest position. I started thinking, how would
you select the right size dye for a random piece of coax. I have a set
of digital calipers. would I measure the OD of the sheild or the plastic
outside cover, or the dielectric and add some magical number like twenty
thousanths of an inch. I have used crimpers thousands of times on
various jobs and usally there is a set of crimpers with RG-316, or
whatever, written in felt pen on the handle and you used them without a
second thought. Whats the correct way to figure it out or does it change
with every connector coax combo. Sorry for the slightly off topic use of
bandwidth, but I have never heard it discussed before. Maybe thats
because only a knucklehead like me would ask this question!

Thanks,

Bob   K6GGO

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: