I, for one, am looking foward to seeing lots of folks who do not
normally "do" CW start to show up during the CW contests.  99% of the
code sent during the contest is nearly perfect. so I am hoping that
the decoding will be pretty good...good enough to encourage those
normally too timid to try CW to get on and make some Q's.

While some ops MAY be too embarrassed to use a code reader (external
box), with the K3, it is a "hidden" tool...no embarrassment factor if
a friend stops by.  And really, since CW is not longer a
"requirement," there is nothing different than LOOKING at the decoding
of RTTY or PSK or whatever...just another digital mode for those who
"don't know" the code.

I've seen code readers at work and they a distraction for me.  I copy
the stuff faster in my head than the software can decode and display
it.

Analogy: One time, my family was watching the Yankees game on TV.  We
didn't like the TV announcers as much as the usual Yankees announcers
via radio, so turned on the AM radio to listen and watch TV with the
AF turned off.

We couldn't do it.  The TV had a much longer delay (FCC mandated?)
than the radio.  We HEARD what was happening well before we SAW it.
Same with decoders (for me).

But for those who would feel more relaxed with a decoder...GO FOR IT.
And please be sure to work me in the contest!

Who knows...if Elecraft can do it in reverse (copy SSB and have it
come out as code...or use the paddle and have the rig xmit SSB), we
might even see the likes of Ron Wright on sideband!

de Doug KR2Q