I am serious: What is the motivation driving smaller and smaller electronic products?

Possible answers:
smaller means using less stuff to make it and thus cheaper?
smaller is cuter?
smaller is a marketing feature?
smaller is more handy?

But when the hand phone, the caculator, the iPod, the mp3 player, the memory stick, the 706, etc etc are so small that they can not be easily be operated with normal human fingers, what is going on? One of my students had her computer "thumb" memory thingy hanging from her ear lobe.

I got the business name card from my eye doctor printed in 6pt. type, way too small for his clients to read.

The greying of America and of ham radio indicates the need for bigger type, bigger radio buttons, etc., AND louder cel phones and louder everything, too.

I am puzzled.... so can I imagine soon a new marketing:  "It's BIGGER!"

Charles Harpole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]