Don Wilhelm wrote:
Vic,

Other than those who just like to use a footswitch, CW PTT function (inhibiting the onset of RF) is a requirement with many VHF/UHF stations, and is used as the transceiver steering mechanism for some SO2R stations. I created a CW PTT circuit to add that capability to the K2. I figured the K3 has this already built in. Please verify that it does, and maybe this thread can settle down a bit.

My current understanding is that if QSK is set to OFF, the paddles do *not* initiate transmit - the footswitch can start transmit and then the paddles will function. If it does not work that way, please clarify how it does work.

There is a choice between QSK and semi-QSK. In either case the PTT (footwitch or computer) is active.

The paddle or key input, however, is also active. So if it's important to inhibit transmit caused by accidentally hitting the paddle before stepping on the footswitch, you'd need an external circuit to do that (it would be very simple, one transistor or relay).
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco