> No, QSK must be off for the paddle to not be live. The
> PTT/Footswitch works fine with QSK on. I just tried it.
>
> Why isn't this useful?

Because you cannot control transmit with PTT/footswitch.  Hitting the paddle
puts the rig into transmit.  You cannot gate (prohibit) transmit with
PTT/footswitch if QSK is still active.  Some SO2R control boxes use PTT to
enable each transmitter.  You may want to insure your amplifier is switched
on before RF is applied from the K3.  There are lots of other reasons for
having this traditional feature.  Every radio on the planet has
PTT/footswitch control for CW ... except the K2, and now the K3, unless it
is added in the firmware.

73,
Ed - W0YK