If you like to listen to frequencies other than the ham band, I would keep one other rig. I enjoy my K2 very much, but I do like to listen around on other stuff periodically, and once in a "great" while, play with some FM and AM. As a result, I will likely have another rig around. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to get a K3 before prices go up. That would fulfill most of my needs, though I would likely keep one rig around, primarily as a listening rig, and use the K2 / K3 as operating rigs.

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982
FP#-1751

Darwin, Keith wrote:
When I got my K2, there were several rigs that were sold.  I'm a one-rig
kind of guy.  I use them one at a time.  If it doesn't work I don't use
it and if I don't use it, I sell it.  I don't have enough $ to tie it up
in unused rigs.  Bottom line is that I keep only the best of what I
have.

Here's what I didn't keep:

TS-830s - valve finals are a hassle to tune compared to SS.  RX
performance and filtering is inferior to the K2.  Sidetone pitch is too
high, relay based semi QSK turned me off.  I miss the big knobs and real
meter but that's about it.

IC-735 - Mine had the CW filter and the built-in keyer.  RX performance
was not even close to the K2 CW filtering, CW pitch, QSK operation,
overall ergonomics (little slider knobs) all left me wanting much more.
Gen coverage receive was not enough reason to keep an otherwise very
mediocre performer.

TenTec Omni V 0.9 - This baby was very tricked out.  It had a 500 Hz
roofing filter, plus a full set of IF filters.  Very nice rig.  Compared
to the K2, the audio sounded rather harsh / rough.  The AF filter rang a
lot.  The rig had a lot of IF hiss and noise.  SSB performance was OK
with the pair of Inrad 2.8 KHz filters but with the stock filters it was
to narrow.  Overall I just couldn't stand to listen to it for any length
of time.

TenTec Century 21 - It took me about 30 seconds to realize I'd never use
this rig.

TenTec Century 22 - Nice rig, in a way, but not for anything more than
very casual QSOs on non-crowded bands.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -