[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've been reading about the ability of the K3 to have CW sent on the
serial cable used for rig control. From memory this was possible on
the K2 but most 3rd party logging/contest programs didn't support
this.

Is this the same as the K3, or is the set-up different this time so
standard logging and contest programs will be able to utilise this ??
Hope this makes sense!!

The K3 has a superset of the K2's command set. So anything the K2 can do, the K3 can do as well.

There's no reason that contest logging programs could not have used the direct CW feature of the K2. This was probably just because the developers didn't see it as important -- there were only a small number of K2's compared to radios of other types, and there was already a way to key it, although not so elegant.

However, if I am not mistaken, many, many contesters and DXpeditions will be using K3's, enough to make an impression on the developers. Especially when some of the developers themselves will have K3's!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco