> There's no reason that contest logging programs could not
> have used the direct CW feature of the K2. This was probably
> just because the developers didn't see it as important -- there
> were only a small number of K2's compared to radios of other
> types, and there was already a way to key it, although not so
> elegant.
>
> However, if I am not mistaken, many, many contesters and DXpeditions
> will be using K3's, enough to make an impression on the developers.

At least one developer of contest software has stated that he will
not waste the effort to implement CW via the KY command since it is
not generally supported.  The KY command works only with the TS-2000,
TS-870, TS-570, TS-480, SDR-1000, FLEX-5000, K2 and now K3.

I know it's heresy here, but those radios collectively represent a
very small portion of the user base for any contest logger.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV