> The resetting of power upon BAND change is a function of the ALC which is
> NOT hardware-derived, but software-driven. When you change bands, and the
> power level generally WILL change because each band has a little bit
> different efficiency, hence different drive levels required for the same
> requested power output, the ALC must measure the actual output against the
> requested output and make a determination as the drive required. This
> requires a number of RF cycles to accomplish, thus the need to hit a few
> DITs.
>
> Now, regarding the Sprint... unless you actually change BANDS after each
> QSO, this should NOT be a problem since the K2 doesn't require resetting
> of
> the ALC upon a frequency change WITHIN BAND. However, if you do change
> bands after each QSO, then it will... and (VERY UNFORTUNATELY) I see no
> way
> to get around it... sorry.
>
> Maybe Wayne can some up with a way to save the ALC level DAC count and
> apply it to the initial setting for the next band selected so you'll at
> least have SOMETHING (more than mW) going out when you hit the key...

Saving the setting band-to-band might work. However, why can't this data
be saved (at least to some approximation) when the rig is first
aligned/built? Why re-determine it every time the band changes? Does it
change strongly with temperature?

My point is that especially when operating SO2R (standard if you want to
win a contest these days!), you are changing bands all the time. Much more
frequently than with only one rig. In the NAQP I frequently zip through
the other bands to check for openings.

One popular strategy in the Sprint now is to switch bands between QSO's.
Yes, it is possible to try to keep band changes down, but in the heat of
the battle, it's hard to remember that!

Tor