Doug,

I beg to differ. There are physical properties that give rise to the characteristic impedance which are related to the dielectric properties and the relative conductor diameters for the center conductor and the braid. These same properties will create a particular RF voltage handling characteristic for the coax in question (or any coax for that matter).

The real difference in coax quality is the shielding percentage of the outer braid. That has nothing to do with the RF voltage handling, but it certainly has a lot to do with the leakage from the coax. In the extreme, a coaxial cable could have similar leakage characteristics as open wire line, but again that is not related to the RF voltage handling characteristics.

So look for a coax that has 90% or greater braid coverage. There is the 'quad shield' RG6 that is quite good in shielding characteristics, but I do not know if it is available in white jacket material.

As it has been mentioned, the white jacket is not as UV protective as the black, so for use indoors, it really does not matter, but outside, use the cable jacket that is rated for UV protection.

73,
Don W3FPR

Doug Person wrote:
There are many types of cable designated RG-6 and RG-59. Many are not designed to handle rf voltages typical of ham transmissions. My suggestion is to be *careful* what you select. Good quality RG-59, the type broadly used by hams many years ago, is hard to find right now. We're not talking about what the cable companies are using - we're talking about what you can buy at Wal-Mart or Home Depot.