hi Craig - three things:

1. The manual advises you to order the filters from widest in XFIL 1 and go narrower from there. I think this is good advise, to keep it easy to remember where they are. You can order them any way you want, this is just a recommendation.

2. I don't think you will move filters very often. It is a lot of screws to remove since both the bottom and top covers have to come off. I think 95% of the time you are just adding a new one into an empty slot.

3. I understood that additional filters are planned, including variable filters, which would further complicate the display if not using the XFIL notation.

hope this helps! - jeff wk6i

Craig D. Smith wrote:
<> Also, the XFIL display helps because you know what you have
<> installed in each slot - for example if XFIL4 is 400Hz, I know when XFIL4
is lit that
<> I am less than or equal to 400,

I'm still a couple months away from my K3, but this kind of jumped out at me
when I read the K3 manual.  Why should I need to remember what roofing
filter I installed in each slot?  Besides, the filters might be swapped from
time to time.  My personal preference would be to see the nominal roofing
filter bandwidth displayed rather than the FL number.  To me this would be
much more convenient.  Is it just me, or am a missing something?   Would be
interesting to hear from Eric/Wayne on this design decision as well as the
preference of other users.

         73
... Craig AC0DS

--
Jeff Stai               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Twisted Oak Winery      http://www.twistedoak.com/