I have been reading some of the concerns that European amateurs seem
to have about the need for CE marking, band limits., etc.

Regarding the CE issue I believe that radio amateurs, who need to pass
tests for their license to operate, construct and modify their own
equipment, should not be required to have a CE label on their
equipment.  Now, I don't know if this is the final word on the issue,
but I checked out the following web page of the European bureaucracy:

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/electr_equipment/emc/directiv/text2004_108.htm.

There I found the following statement for Directive 2004/108/EC on
EMC, which also addresses CE labelling:

"This Directive shall not apply to... radio equipment used by radio
amateurs within the meaning of the Radio Regulations adopted in the
framework of the Constitution and Convention of the ITU [8], unless
the equipment is available commercially. Kits of components to be
assembled by radio amateurs and commercial equipment modified by and
for the use of radio amateurs are not regarded as commercially
available equipment."

I think it is very important that we amateurs don't give in on this
issue.  Our privileges are hard earned through our testing and
licensing process, they are actually recognized in international
regulations, and if the officials who execute the laws don't know
better, they need to be informed and put back on track.

Regarding band limits, I think we should not be required to limit our
equipment there, either.  Nor should we by any means ask for such
limitations ourselves!  By the nature of our hobby we are trusted to
build our radio oscillators, amplifiers and other equipment, which
technically may be able to radiate all over the spectrum, but it is
our responsibility - and we should live up to that responsibility - to
make sure that our emissions are within the regulations in effect in
our countries.

When I get around to order my K3 I will definitely not want with any
CE shackles or band limitations, beyond what the designers built into
the rig.

73 - Kristinn, TF3KX