Incidentally, I'm sure the CE approval on the pre-assembled K3 will be on the basis of the amateur radio interface definition, so will only be valid for operation on the frequencies that form that definition. That doesn't require the frequency coverage to be restricted (although BR68 certainly did, for certain licence classes, and I believe that is still the intent, even if the way it is now worded is rather opaque.

3 points:

1) The CE Marking is involves self-certification and not approval by a regulator or other third party.

2) Imho, the CE Marking for the K3 would have to apply to frequencies out side of the HAM bands (e.g. KBPF3 is installed) or be invalid in some configurations.

3) The CE Marking does not require band limits on the TX but some countries on the planet Earth do. Afaik some of them check for the band limits on equipment entering the country and confiscate rigs without the correct limiting. I remember reading mails on the reflector from hams who had high hopes for the K3 because Elecraft was implementing band limits for their country.

So back to my original question: What happens if my K3, with US band limits, wants to accompany me to such a country? Do you need to get a special version of the FW from Wayne & Eric?

vy 73 de toby