hank k8dd wrote:

Let's say I am listening to 1830.000 to a DX station.  VFO A
The DX station says QSX 1829 so I set VFO B to 1829.00
The RIT is on and is + 1 KHZ - so A reads 1830.100
Now I want to listen to the pile on the TX frequency, so I press REV.
Now my TX freq reads 1829.100 and my RX freq on the bottom reads 1830.00
I find where the last station worked is and release the REV button.  The
TX freq is going to be 100 Hz low!
Seems to me that the RIT should stay with the frequency and not the location of that frequency. As I saw it this afternoon that could cause me to not be on the TX frequency where I want to be transmitting.

I'm assuming that you did have SPLIT on and that you meant that the RIT was set to +100 Hz, not +1 kHz.

You're right that the K3 thinks of RIT as part of VFO A. And note that, unlike some other rigs, you can't choose to receive on VFO B -- you always receive on A and you have a choice to transmit on A or B (of course, you can copy the frequency from B to A and then receive on it; but you are still using VFO A to receive.

What you did is a funny scenario, since if you were using split, you would tune the DX station with VFO A and not use RIT. RIT would not help in this situation.

If the RIT "stayed with the frequency" then when you pressed REV, A would read 1829 and B would be 1830.1. This is probably harmless with REV, since you wouldn't operate the RIT while holding it. But suppose you did A/B. Then what would happen when you clear the RIT? Should B go back to 1830? Should A go to 1828.9? Should A/B work differently in this respect than REV?
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco
K3 no. 00007