"Over the past decade I've used a slew of Ten-Tec and Yaesu xcvrs interfaced
to Ten-Tec, Alpha, and Acom amplifiers via plug 'n play keying loops with
uniformly excellent performance.  The lack of QRO QSK with the K3 may be a
big issue with some prospective K3 contesters."

I disagree that this is a problem.  The new TenTec Orion and Omni VII
transceivers have a minimum "amp-key to RF out" delay of 15ms.  The Kenwood
TS480 and TS2000 have a minimum delay of 10ms.  My Yaesu MKV has an
adjustable delay of 0-30ms (5ms default).  I measured the delay on my
IC-706MKIIG at 15ms, and on a IC-7000 at 10ms.  If you have a QSK amp, it
will switch at least within 10ms if it uses high speed signal relays,
probably around 3-6ms with vacuum relays, and maybe 1-2ms if it uses PIN
diodes.  Both the THP and SPE solid-state amps switch in 7-10ms using high
speed relays.  So all you have to do is to adjust your K3 delay to something
longer than the amplifier relay switching time. If you have any doubts, set
it to 10ms and you should be fine.

You can hear where the delay needs to be set by listening to your signal on
a second receiver.  I experimented with this using my Yaesu MKV and my
QSK-modified Ameritron ALS-600.  The relays in my modified ALS-600 switch in
3ms (measured with a 'scope).  But just for the heck of it, I listened to my
signal on a second receiver while I shortened the delay time on my MKV, and
I started hearing key clicks in the receiver right around 3ms (just like my
measurements had predicted).  So I just re-set my MKV to 5ms delay and
everything worked fine.  I had to set the delay on my MKV to 10ms when I was
testing the THP and SPE amps to stop the clicks.

Phil - AD5X