Steve,

I have not seen anything that I would term 'fading out', but --

One of the first things I would do is to check the frequency of the VCO while it is failing. That can be easily done without dragging out your counter, just put the internal probe in TP1 and use CAL FCTR - compare with the chart on the Schematic Key page.

Right now I can't think of anything else that would cause a problem like that. I guess it might be a relay contact that develops resistance that builds up until failure, but that would be a rare occurrence.

Since both transmit and receive fail, that points to something common - the oscillators, the bandpass filter or the low pass filter - most other things are not common to transmit and receive.

73,
Don W3FPR

Steve Jackson wrote:
Gee, it's been almost eight years of nearly continuous, flawless operation!
But my K2 --just now-- decided to stop working on 160.

I was doing a little S&P, looking for mults in the contest, and all of a sudden, the receiver stopped working.
 Doesn't transmit, either.

It's fine on other bands, and comes back for a few minutes when I power-cycle
the radio, or when I change bands
momentarily.  Then it quits again, after a minute or so.  Just sort of fades
out.

VFO shows it's trying to tune while it's out to lunch, but nothing happens.

Of course, I can fix it, but before I go and start, anybody else ever see this
happen?

tnx

Steve KZ1X/4
owner of the World's Most Experienced Elecraft
... which seems right now to be wanting a siesta