There are two means of supplying bias for an electret (or preamplified)
microphone.  The first, used by Elecraft in the K3 and by Icom, is to
simply add DC voltage to the microphone "hot" lead.  The second, used
by the rest of the world is to use a "power adder" circuit to the mic
line and supply the bias externally.

The power adder consists of a capacitor between the mic element and the
microphone input of the radio (to prevent the bias from upsetting the
microphone amplifier) and a resistor connected to the junction of the
mic element and the capacitor.  Power is applied to the other end of
the resistor from any available source which can be another pin on
the mic connector (pin 6 for Kenwood, pin 5 for Elecraft, pin 2 for
Yaesu/TenTec/Flex-radio) or even a battery.  The resistor is not there
for voltage dropping, it is there to limit the current to the mic
element to a safe value and to prevent the internal impedance of the
power supply, particularly any filter or bypass capacitor, from

> There is some confusion about Heil microphone/headsets like the Heil
> Traveler.  That is also an electret, and should have bias.

Two solutions:
  1) make up your own adapter that has no blocking capacitor and no
     resistor.  Turn on the "pin 1" bias in the K3.
  2) Use a Kenwood HSTA but move the resistor on pin 6 to pin 5.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV