Barry,

> It seems to me that I will need to rewire the SM20 plug. Is
> there an Icom to K3 mic adaptor or is there any other way to
> use the SM20 without rewiring the plug. I really don't want
> to sell the SM20 when I come to sell the PRO3 on purchase of
> the K3.

Kenwood/Elecraft and Icom put the mike element on the same two
pins 1 and 7.  Unfortunately, Kenwood/Elecraft use pins 2 and 8
for PTT where Icom used 5 and 6.

To use the SM20 with the K3 you have two choices:

1) rewire the SM20 plug to move PTT to pin 5 and PTT ground
   (chassis) to pin 8.

2) make an adapter cable -

           Foster Male            Foster Female
           Buxcomm CE8            Buxcomm CBC8